Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Rothenburg

    October 8, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Rothenberg is one of those picture perfect postcard towns. While it received some bombing damage in WW2, it was the 30 Year's War in the 1600's that did a lot more damage to it. A lot of buildings from that time period have survived intact and make it a living museum. That's why hordes of tourists flock here. It's early October, so the high season is over and most of the rest of the tourists are day-trippers on tours. We're spending 2 nights which is plenty of time to soak up the views.

    Something about this town seemed so familiar, and then I found out it's the setting of "Vulgaria" in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and the infamous Child Catcher! Yikes. I thinks some Madison 20 somethings are still having nightmares from when I dressed up as the Child Catcher one year for a Halloween party for kids. It was really me scaring the parents, which scared the kids.

    Anyhoo, the photos will give you a better picture than I can describe. The weather is perfect, a sunny early Autumn day, and after a few walks around the well-preserved town walls, we're chiling out after another delicious lunch. We're staying in a zimmer (room) above a restaurant. It's about 300 years old and we've got a really nice room. The floor is slanted a bit, which gives it a funhouse kind of feel, but we're not complaining. We opted for dinner on the first floor last night, and Deanne had half of a very large duck and I opted for more pork, a humongous pork shoulder with kraut and potato dumplings. My god, the portions are huge here.

    Breakfast below had the most fresh fruit we've seen anywhere on the trip and it was a welcome surprise. Of coure we also had the requisite cold cuts and cheese. Only a couple other people are staying here.

    About 75% of the town works in tourism of some sort here, so I think everyone breathes a sigh of relief in late fall before business picks up again for Christmas. They sell a lot of cuckoo clocks and Christmas memorabilia. We went to a few museums and took the famous Night Watchman's tour around town at night. It was a humorous take on what living here during the middle ages was like.

    More photos and videos are here.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/HgSBYTT7H6jDAwgi7
    Read more