Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    South Kaibab Trail

    June 20, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Hiked 1.5 miles down into the canyon to Cedar Ridge. Lots of steep switch backs - over 1,100' elevation change. Good shade much of the way down (saw a mule train), but virtually none on the way back. That's what we get for starting more than an hour later than planned (left the trailhead at 9:18am.)

    I struggled MIGHTILY on the ascent. The elevation (South Rim is at 7,000'), carrying 40# extra (excluding my pack), my stamina still not where it was, and record high temps (close to triple digits)! Drank nearly a gallon of water myself, L was nearly two liters as well. Only a light breeze at Cedar Ridge. Tom was the pack mule, carrying our spare water. We would go into 'hybrid mode,' with me holding a strap on his pack for a power assist. At times, R would hold my pack as the caboose! Tom barely broke a sweat!

    Fortunately, we brought over 2.5 gallons of water, plus electrolyte tablets. Shared a liter with a couple hiking rim to rim who were doing poorly and camped out in the shade. Otherwise down to our last half a liter when we finished. Relief to hit AC in the shuttle back to our camp site, but worthwhile hike nonetheless!

    Seen lots of elk, raven, a few mule deer, and some very aggressive geound squirrels...wishing to have seen condors!

    ~A
    Read more