Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Horseshoe Bend, AZ

    June 21, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 40 °C

    Driving through Northern AZ, the scenery reminds us of Eastern Washington. Pretty barren and desolate, with really cool geology. Surprised there aren't wind and/or solar farms out here. Or farm some buffalo on these wide open spaces!

    Poker chip incentives have worked pretty well for the boys to encourage drinking water, reading, and cooperative behavior. They earn chips toward ice cream and screen time. So far, L is accumulating his screen chips and enjoying navigating. Win!

    Stopped just shy of Page to hike out to Horseshoe Bend. Scorching 107 degrees - IN THE SHADE!!! Tom estimated 120 walking over the rocks. We hiked up and down a hill to reach the viewpoint (1.5 miles roundtrip). Tom and the boys climbed up a giant rock for a better view. I stayed below taking photos - too hot to climb! Thank goodness for a decent breeze off the river! Tom loves the heat - I don't do so well. Never have. L has been doing really great on hikes and even R hasn't complained once!

    Stopped at Sonic in Page for slushies to cool off before heading to our campsite on the shore of Lake Powell in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Lovely view!

    Too hot to have a campfire (L very unhappy!), too hot to do anything. Full hook up meant AC cranked, but could barely keep up. Hung out watching Ferris Bueller and enjoying ice cream floats as a family.

    ~A
    Read more