Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Monument Valley at Sunset

    June 22, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 30 °C

    Beyond unbelievable!! Loved Antelope Canyon, but Monument Valley is absolutely stunning! Have to say it was a fav. Our guide, Will Cowboy, taught us a lot about Navajo history and customs, movies and shows shot there, his family history (he is 18th generation). We spent three hours on the main 17-mile loop, plus backcountry. Sunset over Grand Canyon was actually nicer, but Monument Valley is a very special place. So cool seeing all of this for the first time. Took hundreds of photos - impossible to pick a handful of the best! Sorting through them this evening, it was magical to relive the experience. The early shots in broad daylight felt less impactful than in real life, but the sunset ones turned out better than I dreamed. Not professional quality for sure, but this was one heck of a day for natural beauty!! :-)

    L is predictably more engaged and interested and asks good questions of the guides. R is still a monkey sometimes and had more fun playing in the sand, beating Will's drum, and climbing rocks, but seemed to enjoy himself as well. Bought himself a neat (supposed) buffalo bone necklace, which he was happy with. Hoping he remembers being here as he gets older!
    Read more