Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Capitol Reef

    June 27, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Nineteen layers of rock - lifted up in the 100-mile long Waterpocket Fold. Now I know I'm the geeky daughter of a geeky geologist! Took hundreds of photos of the different types of rocks! Unfortunately, most of the hikes are only accessible off of unpaved roads, for vehicles 27' or under. Drove along the Scenic Drive - saw marmots, deer, and wild turkeys.

    Stopped to see Fremont petroglyphs, Pioneer cabin, school, and blacksmith shop in Fruita (L & I were able to find a few ripe apricots!), several beautiful vistas. Small, but great Nature Center for kids and watched the film at the Visitor Center.

    Arrived at our camp site, R & I went for a cooling swim while L & Tom set up camp and started a campfire. Roasted Polish sausages over the fire. Requisite smores to keep the natives from getting too restless. Lovely sunset over the rock face.

    This morning, we attended a geology talk at the Visitor Center, then the kids received Junior Ranger badge #6. Found out that there are several more these badge-hungry kids could have received, but we didn't know about them.
    Read more