Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Hoodoos Everywhere!!

    June 29, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Full day in Bryce Canyon - delicious scenery! The red, orange, and white rock spires were so extraordinary! Look like something impossible in nature, yet there they are! Met a wonderful family from Annapolis, Maryland on our first shuttle ride - their boys were 8 and almost 11 and were heading to the sake hike we were. We ended up hiking together the entire 3-mile loop and it was so much fun! The boys mostly paired up and chattered the entire time, excited to have someone other than their brother to hang out with. They gave us some great tips for Zion. Headed back to the Visitor Center, watched their award-winning film, then said our goodbyes.

    Afterwards, we drove out to the farthest stop on the scenic drive, Rainbow Point, and worked our way back. Loved the vistas! Could look at those rocks forever! I can see why each of these parks have been set aside - all very special places that I hope to visit again in my lifetime!

    Attempted a Ranger program, but thunder forced the rim walk indoors. Instead, the ranger swore in the Junior Rangers and read Dr. Seuss' The Lorax. Well known symtory, but very entertaining nonetheless!

    As dusk was approaching, we saw a prairie dog, mule deer, pronghorn, etc. coming out to browse Picked up fresh made slices of pie for dessert. Kids really wanted a fire, but it was way too windy. Rains started as we sat down to eat in our dry vehicle. Tough getting the goofball down to sleep!

    ~A
    Read more