Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    The Narrows

    July 1, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Only alarm this trip - 7am to beat the crowds. Hearty breakfast, loaded our pack and water bottles. Swim suits on, trekking poles in hand. Park at the Visitor Center and 40-minute tram ride to last stop - Temple of Sinawava. One mile walk to the stairs leading down to the river. We trekked two hours up the Virgin River through the "Wall Street" section. Absolutely stunning! Took 100s of photos (will add once we're home) and enjoyed the lovely Narrows - sheer cliff walls on both sides.

    Finally reached a 'Y' and turned back a little after Noon. We'd met others who said the rangers recommended being off the river by 2pm due to weather warnings. We were off around 2:10pm and not 10 minutes later, huge thunder claps rambled through. Ten minutes after that, the rain began. And rain it did. We were pretty wet by the time we got back to the tram stop. Amazingly, there were still hikers heading up the river! Waited through two trams with other bedraggled hikers before we squeezed onto a shuttle.

    Was hoping to stop at a couple others we didn't see yesterday on the way back, but didn't dare get off since there were people unable to get on the trams. Went to the Human History Museum to watch the video and had the opportunity to see a condor nest on the cliff by telescope. Tragically, the male died of lead poisoning two weeks ago and the mama and chick hadn't been seen recently. (Chick probably died without both parents and mom left.)

    Walked to the Nature Center for the boys to recieve their Zion Ranger badges (taking home booklets for Paleontology and Wilderness for them to mail in) - believe this was #11 on the trip!!

    Stopped for ice cream and t-shirts in Springdale, then back to our campsite in Virgin. The kids were able to have our final campfire, grilled burgers, and started packing.

    Fell in bed exhausted!! :-)
    Read more