Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Viva Las Vegas!

    July 3, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 38 °C

    Another early morning, up before 7am. Gave away extra food to neighboring RVers (one had been our neighbor in Bryce!), got rid of trash and recycling. Three hour drive to Las Vegas - the kids and I packing and cleaning. Pick up a rental car at the airport, refuel and turn in the rig.

    Head over to Cowabunga Bay, a good sized water park. The kids were SO excited!! Frustrating at first with two big attractions closed, long lines, and poor management (literally sat in line 40 minutes for one ride - had to point out to supervisor that no one had come out of the tube in 10 minutes), but it improved. The kids had a blast and the parents had a good time too. No photos - left our phones in the car.

    Checked into our hotel in the center of the Strip - the LINQ, which is the remodeled and rebranded Imperial Palace. Had a reasonably good dinner across the street at Caesars, then enjoyed my favorite part of all of Vegas - watching the Bellagio fountains dance. Ice Pan was next - handmade right in front of you. We had a delightful gal who was entertaining to watch and was enamored with Rowan, treating the boys to an extra ice pop.

    Having not been to Vegas in 15-20 years, it was interesting to be there with kids. Explained it as a Disneyland for adults. L is worldly enough to ask a lot of good questions, to which he received age appropriate answers. R was relatively oblivious to all of the adult misbehavior and mayhem around him (especially given it was Saturday night on a holiday weekend). Both kids were bothered by the ever present cigarette smoke. By the end of the evening, L declared that he didn't want to come back to Vegas again. Kind of proud and kind of sad.

    High Roller was next - the highest big wheel in the world at 550'. Really cool and slightly unnerving to be that high off the ground in a plexiglass bubble. Caught two partial performances of the Bellagio fountain, plus fireworks show at Mandalay as it slowly rotated.

    Finally, off to bed at midnight!
    Read more