Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    To Huye

    May 31, 2018 in Rwanda ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    An eventful day! A beautiful sunrise over lake Kivu look towards the Congo welcomed the morning of the biggest and toughest ride of the week. A long climb out of Cyangugu the first challenge, followed by a steeper climb into the rain forest, and how it was worth it! The sounds, the dense jungle, the monkeys, the birds and butterflies, another side of Rwanda and another beautiful one. After a hard ride up the hill it only seemed fitting to take the ride through the jungle at a more leisurely pace to fully appreciate it. On leaving the forest we entered tea country. Vast swathes of land covered with tea bushes, with brightly coloured dressed women in the middle picking.
    It was after this that the ride got more 'interesting' for some unknown reason for the last 50 km the road surface had been removed and we were riding on gravel and dust tracks. Possibly ok for MTB but for road bikes not ideal. Trucks kicked up the dirt and riding became a challenge. At this stage riding in a trio with Joe and Mariko, Mariko took a hard fall, amazingly she escaped with only minor injuries. We got back on the bikes and continued on, then with only a few miles to go I managed to clip the wheel of the bike in front and fell off - again no damage, although Joe waved at the traffic to stop and also the children by the side of the road were quickly on the scene saying sorry and telling the traffic to stop. A young girl with an arm in plaster was at the front of the group 'Don't worry, I think I'm better than you' I replied - which seemed to cause much amusement!

    We arrived, dusty tired but pleased to have made it.

    "The utter extravagance of His work in us who trust in Him - endless energy, boundless strength." Eph 1 (MSG)
    Read more