Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Dino day!

    June 6, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Today was dinosaur day! I stayed in Vernal at the Dinosaur Inn and Suites, then headed to Dinosaur National Monument.

    There used to be a large quarry from back in 1910 where they excavated loads of dinosaurs. The guy who discovered it, wanted some to be left in place and protected for people to visit... so it is!

    They say there's probably more underneath the layer they display and also under the building, but it's being preserved.

    It was very cool to be able to see them all in place, so many bits, mainly Camarasaurus, but also stegosaurus and allosaurus, and others! Even encouraged to touch some of them!

    After that, I visited a dinosaur trackway next to a lake. Amazingly, when I got there, there was a local family just chilling out swimming next to the tracks, and throwing rocks into the water... rocks that could have things on them! I totally judged them.
    They were about to leave luckily and some other fellow Dino hunters appeared to help look for the tracks. We eventually found some and had to clear some debris. Some were underwater, but it was cool to see the ones we saw.
    Read more