Satellite
Show on map
  • Yo Soy Un Peregrino!

    June 26, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 64 °F

    It’s official! I am a Peregrino. A pilgrim on the Camino.

    The overall flight from JFK to Madrid to Porto, Portugal went well. JFK - Madrid - Our “premium economy” seats were wide and comfortable, and we had plenty of leg room with no one in front of us. The food was decent as was the attempted sleeping. Madrid is a huuuuge airport, especially when coming through customs, legally anyway.

    On the other side was a plane waiting for us, eventually, to take us to Porto. When was the last time you walked out on the tarmac to get on and off the plane?

    Getting to our hotel went well. Picked up by a
    driver and then walked about 100 steps up to our room with a fantastic view of the Rio Douro.

    Then the fun began. We walked not very far, but with all the up and down over 16,000 steps. First place we went was the Cathedral. A XII Century building that is amazing. The architecture is incredible and it is huuuge. Especially interesting was the statute of St. James with all of his identifying traits. His hat had the clam shell and the St. James cross was with him also. With the age and history of the cathedral along with all the art, frescos, paintings, carvings and reliefs it was a wonderful experience.

    We also found the starting point for our Camino tomorrow. Best of all, I got my first stamp on my Camino Passport for the Camino. I became a Peregrino! In order to prove you have walked the 100 km minimum in order to receive the certificate or Compostela. So, you have a Pilgrim’s Passport with two stamps a day showing where you have been.

    Great day and a great start to the Camino Portugues.
    Read more