Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5 - Valenca to Os Eidos

    July 1, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    We started the day in the Fortuleza of Valenca in Portugal after a very good night’s sleep in a wonderful room overlooking Valenca. On our way out we passed by a trebuchet (Google it), and down the steep passageway across the moat and through the town. Before we knew it we were crossing the Minho river from Portugal to Spain.

    On the way to Spain we saw the Tui Cathedral high on a hill far away and thought surely we were not going there.

    Welcome to the Tui Cathedral originally built in the XII Century with a few updates in the XIV and XV Centuries. As was the Fortuleza, it was heavily fortified against attacks by the Portuguese, so getting up and around all the steps and cobblestone roads was a challenge. Accepted and completed.

    We also had the opportunity to travel along the Roman route, not used for the Camino, and saw a bridge built by the Romans.

    We ultimately arrived at our albergue named Casa Alternativo. A very interesting character named Dries (sp?) owns it and had a great story about how he is a pilgrim and decided to open his own albergue. We had our first “Camino” meal with the other pilgrims here. A Camino meal is basically a family style meal served by the hostelier including wine. All the produce came from local farms and we had a good time.

    He was also “Dr. Dris” and assisted me with my foot problems. I have to say for the most part they are feeling much better. On the Camino, the Camino provides and it did again.

    I have retired early to take it easy on my feet while we work our way to Santiago. Tomorrow is another day and I am looking forward to a little longer walk each day.

    Buen Camino!

    8.4 miles/ 22,000 steps
    Read more