Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Day 11 - Part 2 - Finesterre

    July 7, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    To Infinity and Beyond!

    Well not quite. Just the end of the world to watch the sunset on the most western part of the European Continent - Finesterre. Literally it means the end of the world. As you may recall, we thought the world was flat until the end of the 15th Century. Finesterre was that place.

    It’s is only 62 km away and so we didn’t walk. You can, but we didn’t. We were done walking. I walked 200km in the last couple of weeks and survived, with God’s help of course, so we rented a car. There just so happened to be an Alamo Rent-a-Car within walking distance of where we were staying. I have an account there and got an upgrade. A nice standard KIA.

    For the most part driving a standard for the first time in 40+ years is like riding a bike. Not quite totally, but we did return the car unscathed.

    The drive to Finesterre was a beautiful drive especially as we drove a mountain road and could see the ocean. The weather was perfect and the sky was clear.

    Sunset was at 10:13 and we got there about 6:30. So, we had plenty of time to walk around and see everything it had to offer, including the 0,000 way mark. Yay!

    There was a small cafe that had a small patio facing due west. We took a seat there early and and my plan was to continue to buy drinks (not alcohol! - I was driving) and botanicos (snacks) throughout the evening. My plan worked to perfection and those became our seats for the sunset with no one blocking our view.

    With not a cloud in the sky, it was the most magnificent sunset I have ever seen. The sun literally sank into the Atlantic Ocean. The pictures are stunning, but do not do it justice. They are better than any description I can think of. So, you can enjoy them. You’re welcome!

    When the sun finally and completely sank into the ocean, everyone clapped for it. It felt appropriate because it was exciting. But I never envisioned myself clapping for the sun.

    Afterwards we left the area as did hundreds of others feeling wonderfully satisfied with our experience. We returned the car and walked back to the hotel knowing that we had experienced one of the best days of our lives. God’s grace was truly upon us.

    0 miles/ 20,000 steps
    Read more