Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Slipper Time

    April 30, 2018 in France ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    This is the slipper portion of the trip, the one-off extravagant portion. Boarded the River Royale and today is the first day of wine tasting on the Dordogne and Gironde rivers. Today's winery visit was Chateau La Tour, beautiful grounds dating back to the Middle Ages. You can spend the night there for 300€ per night, book both of the bedrooms with friends and you get the entire chateau to yourself! Back to the ship, it's nice not having to think about your next move really. Biggest decisions of the day are what excursion to do and what to order for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Speaking of breakfast, the first one was lovely. They have an enormous menu and a few specials that changes daily. I couldn't understand the waiter (many are Eastern European), and after asking twice what it was, I decided not to ask a third time, entirely too excessive. Turns out it was crepes with cherry sauce and whipped creme. Decided on Eggs Benedict (soon to be my go to), french toast, roasted tomatoes, bacon, coffee. Going to love breakie. Gotten pretty good at my mercis, s'il vous plaîts and bonjours, but not much else. When I do use French on board, they always respond in English. Probably something that they are supposed to do. So happy that I decided to come in 2 nights early into Bordeaux. Just about jet lag free. Had a solid night sleep. Keeping to myself, for now. We'll see if I get chatty or not.
    GAHR-ron = Garonne, river
    CAD-ee-ak = Cadillac, city
    DOOR-don = Dordogne, river
    Bly = Blaye, city
    Read more