Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Paris - Passages and Galleries

    September 7, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    One sight I was really looking forward to was the covered Passages of Paris. There are only about 20 or so remaining - glass covered arcades dating back for the most part to the 19th century, each with their own unique characteristics. Some where more well preserved than others, but each was fabulous in its own way. The shops inside were also wonderful, including one that only sold umbrellas/parasols and walking sticks! One passage in particular had mosaic floor tiles which were worn and uneven and just lovely. I think we went through 5 or 6 passages all up.

    Which brings us to Galleries Lafayette - OMG David Jones, eat your heart out. The French just know how to do stuff on a spectacular scale! I did have some delusional thought early on of needing to buy Kate a singlet. Hmmm, don't think a children's department consisting of Dolce and Gabbana, Armani, Gucci and the like, is likely to stock the humble Chesty Bond singlet in white! The interior to this building is a feast for the eyes. It is hard to see how you could get tired of working in this building really.
    Read more