Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Tourrettes-sur-Loup

    September 17, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    I kid you not, Craig said he had a genuine stammer as we entered the car park in this place. It is a medieval village, well renowned for its arts and crafts such as weaving, painting, pottery jewellery and sculpture. Quite simply, this was so incredibly gorgeous and quaint and authentic that it was hard not to believe that a movie set had been created in all its perfection and put there for you to walk through. The fact that people can and do live in this type of village almost defies logic and of course, you have to wonder "where do they shop? where do they work? does driving a car here drive them insane?". The place is breathtaking.

    We parked in a square, bought a couple of baguettes and wandered through the narrow winding streets to find somewhere to eat. This led us to the panorama which gave an incredible view across the viaduct which were originally built in the early 1900s to provide train access to what was otherwise an isolated area, and out to the Mediterranean.

    We had lunch under a tree and then walked down the goat track (not knowing where it was going to take us) until we actually ended up on the viaduct looking back up to the village! Back up in the village, dating from the 16th century, we wandered a bit more through the tiny streets, had a peak in an art gallery or two, before buying some groceries and heading back home.

    A fabulous day out! Off to Nice and Monte Carlo tomorrow...
    Read more