Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Venice

    October 3, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Leisurely start to the day (not sure how I am going to go back to 5.15am starts when I get back to Australia - positively uncivilised!), and then we started an epic day of leisurely meandering through the streets of Venice. Love love love!

    We didn't go into anything or line up for anything and just enjoyed a day of looking at the sights of Venice from the outside. Fabulous bridges, Venezian-style traffic jams, heard opera being sung on a gondola, marvelled at why the gondoliers thought being grumpy and disinterested in what they were doing was good for business etc.

    We looked in on some amazing art shops, and got a bit of inspiration for a few things we might try out when we get home. Kate has been collecting the entry and bus tickets throughout our journey to "do something" with them when we get home. We were inspired by some great papier mache works in one gallery today so spent this evening researching some options to give it a go when we get home. It has been four weeks since we have watched a TV (given we can't understand anything, we have gotten used to just not turning them on even when we have had them) which has been great for playing games and chatting about stuff. Each accommodation generally has a selection of games - tonight Finn and I played backgammon which used to be one of my favourite board games when I was at uni and living with my uncle who was a board game fiend.

    We got back to our accommodation around 4pm due to the urgent need to find a loo and a distinct lack of public facilities in Venice. So, had a sleep, read some book, dinner last night was so yummy Craig made the same again. All up, a perfect day!
    Read more