Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Eagle's Nest

    October 12, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    After we finished our toboggan run, we took a short 15 minute drive to the car park at the base of Eagle's Nest. In a highly efficient operation (we are in Germany after all), we were on one of many specially designed buses which can manage the narrow road going up. Once we get up, you then walk through a 124 metre tunnel, to get in a brass lift to go up 124 metres, which pops you out right inside Kehlsteinhaus. It has been operated as a restaurant since the 1930s, with all proceeds from the leasing and tourism venture going to charity.

    The views across the Alps are incredible. The sun terrace where many of the famous photographs of Hitler and Braun were taken is now simply a corridor to another part of the restaurant, with information panels and archival photographs in place. This is the only reference to the Nazi Party that we saw at the actual site.

    We ate lunch out on the terrace with splendid views. I admit though I was surprised as I had more of an idea of it having a large grassed slope behind it, but perhaps I am just mixing up various archival footage in my mind.
    Read more