Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Hilltop village of Motovun

    December 4, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    About 40 minutes drive inland is the medieval hilltop of Motovun, smack bang in the middle of truffle territory... And olive oil territory... And vineyards...

    We almost had the entire place to ourselves to wander around. There was only one restaurant open from what would have been at least a dozen if not more, so that combined with the fact it had a loo, meant that was where we had lunch.

    And OMG, these places are why I love food so much. We were told later it was the best restaurant in Motovun. I had tagliatelle with truffle sauce, the kids had soup, Craig had a 1/4 chicken with a cheese sauce which unexpectedly came with a side of homemade gnocchi in a crispy cheese basket. The parents had omelette where truffle was shaved by hand over the top at the time of serving.

    We were given olive and truffle tapenade with house made bread as starters on the house, and after the meal complimentary red wine liqueur specific to Motovun. It was like Christmas in a glass, and sent us back up the hill to the distillery shop where we had some tasting of limoncello and orangcello. And then bought a bottle of the limoncello and aforementioned red wine liqueur called teranino.

    And after Jeff made us dinner of poached eggs, a wee limoncello has gone down a treat. We have already looked up where we can restock on our trip 🫢.
    Read more