Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Dubrovnik Walls Part I

    December 27, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ 🌙 10 °C

    O.M.G.

    Pretty sure this has become my most favourite town EVER! We walked the wall today and had perfect weather with clear blue skies. It is the most number of photos we have taken in one day on our entire trip so far! And with good reason, the views were spectacular and got better with every turn. As a result this post will be spread over about 2-3 because I cannot choose my favourite 20 photos for one day.

    We had the wall to ourselves for most of the time we were there and I cannot imagine what it would be like in summer when you would be sharing it with hundreds of others. Today is a day where I think it is 100% worth not being able to swim because the water is cold and most of the restaurants are closed because the trade-off is that we are experiencing something like the Dubrovnik walls without hoards of people.

    We took a couple of hours walking the 1940m of wall. There were some quite steep stairs in sections. We were able to get views of various places we had already visited during the previous several days.

    We spied a great looking setting for a restaurant which we later visited for lunch, met up with a cat we are sure was my lap warmer a few days before at Buza Bar, found a unique basketball court which is the result of a 700 year old wall gets in the way of your rectangular court requirements, found someone who had 28 pairs of white underwear hanging on their line and possibly the same number of white singlets to match, could peer into lots of backyards where the wall was part of their backyard (imagine!), and found a really spectacular vege patch with a load of citrus trees and grape vines with a great view. We also enjoyed bit of cat spotting including one white cat asleep in the most precarious spot you could imagine.

    Many of the rooftops were destroyed by shelling during the Yugoslav Wars in 1991, and during the walk you could clearly see the difference between the original and new terracotta tiles. The walk also brought you up close to the various church bells.
    Read more