Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    Entering Colombia through Nariño

    March 17, 2015 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Yeah, the last border of our trip and finally destination: Colombia!
    After 5 hours passing through the amazing mountain landscape of northern Ecuador, we crossed by foot the bridge between Ecuador and Colombia, entering the department of Nariño.
    Finally back in Colombia, Isa's home country and Ulf's beloved old home. But honestly, it felt rather unusual. The south of Colombia is very different from what we know about this country. Actually after independence from Spain, the department chose to become a part of Ecuador, but the new Colombian army "convinced" them otherwise. It is an extremely beautiful landscape, and Colombia's Andean or Inca's side! And the first site, is directly behind 'Las Lajas, a famous pilgrim destination consisting of a church on a bridge, so remote that most Colombians only know it from pictures. After that, we continued to Pasto the department's capital. We decided to stay two nights, to have time to visit another remote sight, the beautiful mountain lake of 'La Cocha' and enjoy the last peculiarity from the Andes we hadn't tried yet: eating guinea pig. The lake was absolutely marvelous, the guinea pig tasted rather unique...and having tried it once, is probably enough!
    Read more