Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Barcelos

    September 6, 2019 in Portugal ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Barcelos really likes its roosters! The Rooster of Barcelos is an icon of Portugal. Here is the legend;

    "Legend has it that at the beginning of the sixteenth century a crime had occurred in the small town of Barcelos. However, nothing was known about the culprit, which alarmed the population of Barcelos. By that time, a Galician passed in the city, which raised numerous suspicions. No one knew the stranger and no one had never seen him before. So much was the suspicion that in his defense the Galician said that he was only passing through Barcelos on his pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. Ignoring his justifications, the man was immediately charged with the crime and sent to the gallows.

    On the day of the trial, and in the presence of the judge and the entire population of Barcelos, the devout pilgrim said aloud: "It is as certain that I am innocent, as it is certain that this rooster crows when I am hanged." Among laughter, the people looked around and saw a roast rooster on a platter, already served for the meal that followed. Without any explanation, at the very moment when the Galician was being hanged, the rooster came back to life and everywhere the strong singing of the animal was heard. Soon the judge ordered to save the life of the Galician and let him continue his way. The Rooster of Barcelos gained such fame that it became one of the most representative figures of Portugal."
    Read more