Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Falling in love with Bangkok

    October 30, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Today was incredible. Started by waking up at 11:30 (oops- jet lag might be real) and taking a few suggestions from a slightly grumpy bunk mate, headed to a food market where we seemed to be the only foreigners. Tom got rice and chicken which was incredibly delicious--and also incredibly spicy!

    We then walked to a local restaurant, which, despite being UK prices served amazing chicken and waffles. Very full and happy, we caught a boat bus to Wat Arun: a temple dedicated to the sun god with the most intricate decoration, which appeared to turn golden where the sun catches it.
    After spending a few hours wandering into temples and getting iced tea and coconut water in shade, we decided to get a short water bus to Wat Pho: the reclining Buddha. It is absolutely breathtaking!

    Wondering around the temples at Wat Pho and looking at what felt like all the 832 depictions of Buddha on this site, we walked into a temple where monks were chanting. This felt completely surreal and beautiful! We sat and listened to them for a while, and on the way out Tom met a puppy who LOVED him, and while trying to avoid getting attacked, managed to stand on and break a woman's sandal. We didn't understand what they were saying but she kindly declined the offer of his shoes, which was fair enough after a full day of Bangkok usage.

    We then got the boat back up the river, watching the glorious sunset, then headed to a food market and got rice, chicken, some questionable fish omelette, and mushrooms which were by far the best mushrooms I've ever eaten. The lady also gave us what seemed to be a bowl of cabbage and the water it was boiled in for free: not our favourite Thai delicasy so far.
    Read more