Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 9/72: Sticky Waterfall

    November 5, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Today we journeyed to Sticky Waterfall. Tom started the day with a hot run around the wall of old Chiang Mai Town, and then we got some breakfast at the hostel.

    We hired a taxi for the day (it cost ~1000 baht- £25) and drove an hour and a half out of Chiang Mai to get to 'Sticky Waterfall', which is exactly what it says on the tin. The rocks of the waterfall are made of weird minerals and so have a rough texture, which makes it very hard to slip on.

    Being able to scale up the side of a waterfall, with cool water flowing down the nearly vertical steps naturally made in the rock is an incredible feeling, although at times slightly nerve racking. Sitting in the warm rock pools that collected in the sun was a great way to relax. The waterfall is set in the heart of the jungle, and signs telling us to watch out for snakes everywhere we went made us slightly nervous. (Actually just Izzi, to quote Tom, 'ooh I'd like to see a cobra'.) Overall the waterfall was an absolutely unmissable stop on our tour of Chiang Mai- and shockingly few people seemed to be there.

    After an ice cream or 3 at the top of the waterfall we headed back with our taxi driver who had waited for us in the baking hot sunshine. Heading back into Chiang Mai for dinner, we had barbecued chicken wings and a northern Thai curry for dinner (not on the same plate).

    Tomorrow we head to Phuket, for the 3rd part of our Thai adventure.
    Read more