Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Day 16/72: unwinding

    November 12, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 30 °C

    Today was a day to chill. After the excitement of being in big party locations and really busy islands, the quietness and remoteness of Koh Yao Yai is exactly what we needed, and exactly what we hoped we might find. The resort is absolutely beautiful, and a welcome break from the hostels we were staying at before. We woke up early and watched the sun rise over the sea from the comfort of our bungalow.

    We had a light breakfast of omelettes, toast, pancakes, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, fresh fruit juices, fried rice with vegetables and potatoes. After this, we sat on the edge of the pool and proceeded to move very little for the rest of the morning, except when a huge beetle made me jump up, or when we overheated, and thus collapsed in the pool to cool off. After a hard morning of sitting we felt a bit peckish, so we got chicken burgers and chips and fruit from the resort restaurant. We then borrowed some paddle boards for the afternoon, and spent a few hours paddling up and down the beach. The sea was a tiny bit rough in places, and watching Tom fall in while trying to get onto the board was very amusing for everyone.

    After paddle boarding we then went back to sit by the pool, and Tom taught me how to play blackjack and poker, and I proceeded to get a bit carried away with gambling apparently fake money.

    The sunset over the hill was incredible, the colours were so vibrant and we enjoyed it while walking along the beach.

    After dinner we are now sat in our hut watching a huge tropical thunderstorm, complete with lightning and thunder over the sea.
    Read more