Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Day 34/72: another day in Auckland

    November 30, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We woke up to our whale watching trip having been cancelled due to the weather, which was drizzly and windy and cloudy- probably fair enough to cancel the trip. We spent the morning sat with the person on the travel desk at the hostel discussing what we could do around New Zealand- some very exciting activities planned now!

    For lunch we got bacon and cheese pancakes from a Korean pancake stall- absolutely incredible, and ate them in the park. We window shopped for a bit along the expensive highstreet, and thought about buying jumpers and hoodies, as we aren't packed particularly well for rain and cold...

    We both got quite restless so decided to go for a run through the parks and up to Mount Eden- a dormant volcano just outside the city centre. The views were incredible, if slightly foggy.

    Auckland have a system kind of like Boris bikes in London where you can pick up an electric scooter and unlock it with an app and drop it off anywhere by the side of the road for the next person who comes across it, so instead of running all the way back home we hopped on 2 scooters and rode back down the hills.

    We went out for a nice pasta meal for dinner and finished the evening with tiramisu. Unfortunately when we got back to the hostel a girl decided to start throwing mattresses around and swearing at everyone because she didn't want a top bunk but it was the only one without someone sleeping in it... It was about 2 in the morning when a different guy came in and asked why she had put his bed on the floor, so she found another room!

    Looking forward to not being in a hostel tomorrow as we are picking up our campervan!
    Read more