Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Day 45/72: waiting for skydiving

    December 11, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Today we woke up early and drove to the skydiving centre, I got all geared up and then they told us the weather had just turned and they couldn't get up until maybe 1300. Disappointed but eager to try again later we headed to a nearly brunch/market place and had French toast and bacon, which was delicious.

    We then headed down to the salt pools in Motueka, the weather was grey and cloudy and the salt pools looked cold. So instead of swimming we sat in the car and watched the sea flowing over the edge. At 1200 I got a call to say that the skydiving wouldn't happen at 1300, try again at 1400. And at 1300 I had a phone call to say not 1400, but 1600. We headed up the coastal road to a beautiful beach and had a lovely swim in a huge river flowing into the sea. The pull was insane, you could swim as hard as you could against the current and still be pushed back a few meters.

    We bought a volley ball and played on the beach for a while, had some lunch from a cafe on the beachfront and got another call to say they would try one last time for 1700 but if not then the skydive would be tomorrow morning at 0900. (spoiler alert: it was pushed to the next day.) We enjoyed the rest of the day on the beautiful golden sand beach.

    We had a relaxing evening at the campsite and headed off to bed quite early.
    Read more