Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 58

    Day 58/72: A Glenorchy Christmas Eve

    December 24, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    We woke up to a beautiful view of the mountains, and decided to go for a walk in the morning. The sun was shining and birds were singing and the morning heated up incredibly quickly. We walked around the lakes, incredibly smooth with incredible reflections of the mountains, with plenty of stops to take thousands of photos. Both of us were wearing our Christmas eve socks, and humming Christmas songs along the way. We stopped for a paddle in the glacier river, which was unsurprisingly freezing cold, but ice blue and surrounded by fields of lupins. The walk finished by our campsite shop so we got pies for lunch and icecream sundaes (free thanks to our Christmas hamper!) and ate them in the sun.

    Izzi wrapped Christmas presents in the afternoon while Tom went for a hot run (he wasn't too happy afte starting out along a private road and having the turn around when reaching a sign). I then sunbathed while Tom wrapped my presents. Our Christmas afternoon passed in a blur of reading, eating and sunbathing.

    In the evening we were down to the lake, and took loads of photos jumping off the dock into the lake. Feeling very refreshed and cold, we had environmentally friendly showers at the campsite, and hung our stockings by the exhaust pipe with care.
    Read more