Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Barcelona

    June 20, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    Barcelona is a vibrant,busy and cosmopolitan city. Filled with tourists from everywhere - lots of youngsters who must have finished uni for the year. Some of the highlights of our few days in Barcelona are (in no particular order):
    - [ ] Eating in the many tapas bars, often with incredible street buskers. In fact street buskers can be seen all over the gothic quarter at all hours of the day and night
    - [ ] Getting lost trying to navigate the many narrow lane ways
    - [ ] A walking tour of the old parts, venturing into the Gothic quarter, Jewish quarter showing Roman and medieval time periods. We explored the many narrow lanes and as many churches.
    - [ ] A Spanish Classical guitar concert accompanied by flamenco dancers in the most incredible music concert hall, Palau de la Musica.
    - [ ] Walking alongside the Harbourside were the rich and famous moor their yachts.
    - [ ] Walking down la Rambla, which is packed with people, who are shopping or taking a stroll to soak up the vibe
    - [ ] Visiting and sampling at the food market with the most incredible selection - lots of seafood of every kind, meat selection, cheeses, fruits, nuts and different tapa selections. We sampled the Catalan vermouth and agreed we would be back for more
    - [ ] We caught the metro to the funicular and cable car to Montjuïc which had stunning views over Barcelona including the Mediterranean sea and activity on the bay harbour
    - [ ] We had Lunch at Salts, a restaurant with views over the Olympic diving pool and city
    - [ ] We caught a Metro to La Pedrera - one of Gaudís famous apartment blocks. Also Casa Batlló - another of Gaudi’s creations. Gaudi was an absolute genius, born well before his time. His creativity using aspects from nature with geometry is mind blowing. Builders must have hated him!
    - [ ] We walked down Passeig de Gràcia, a street with all the high end shops
    - [ ] Visited Santa Maria del Mar, a fine example of gothic church and built and funded by the community. We attended Mass at the Cathedral (in Catalan, just when we have learnt all the Spanish responses). May as well have been a different country.
    - [ ] Attended a not so great Psalm concert at the Cathedral after Mass - I think more a local attraction with artists that must have been great in their time!
    - [ ] The many sampling of the finest ice creams we have tasted
    - [ ] Visited Sagrada Familia (Basillica of the Holy Family) - just Wow!!! Another of Gaudis’s creations. Building commenced in the late 1800s and will be completed in the next 10 years. Gaudi new that it would not be completed in his life time but left all the plans and models to be completed in generations to come. It is built purely from donations (no government or church funding). The intricate details and every thought that has gone into its creation are an absolute wonder - no explanation will do it justice. We also went up the Passion tower. We caught the lift up but then had to walk down the 400 steps. I am not great at heights so managed the odd peak but certainly didn’t do it justice. Thankfully Anthony took some photos.
    - [ ] We went to Mass in the crypt built beneath the altar. Again the detail was incredible. Somehow he managed to create the perfect amount of lighting and we were there as the sun was setting so the light reflecting from the stain glass windows in the Basilica gave a beautiful hue of colours.
    - [ ] We were also lucky enough to experience the festivities of The birth of St John the Baptist which coincides with the Summer solstice each year and so seen to be the introduction of summer proper. The whole of Barcelona was a huge party with bonfires, fireworks, concerts, dancing and singing. Families and youngsters out in full force - a lovely experience.
    Adios Espana- Hasta luego
    Read more