Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    A day in Singapore with Murphy

    May 22, 2017 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    You will all be pleased to know that Murphy has come on holiday with us. Not being too hungry this morning after eating a lot yesterday, we walked to Orchard Rd, had a coffee and muffin and checked out our tourist brochures. With our package with Singapore Airlines we got some freebies - a pass for the hop on / hop off buses and free entry into many attractions. Janette read about a book on Singlish - a dialect which is a cross between Singaporean and English. We caught a bus to a spot closest to the shop selling this book and then walked for what seemed like miles in what seemed like 100%+ humidity. Anyway, we found the shop only to see a sign on the door "closed for stocktaking". We walked further to visit the Malay Heritage Centre. Guess what? - closed on Mondays. Caught a bus back to the Suntec City. This massive complex has a food hall the size of Benalla. We had a lovely seafood lunch each.
    One of our freebies was a river cruise, so again a bus to a point near Clarke Quay and took the cruise. Very interesting to see Singapore from that vantage point. One crew member took great delight in posing passengers for photos so that it looked like they are holding buildings in their hands.
    Again the bus- this time to Raffles Hotel and a traditional gin sling in the 'long bar'. As it was 6.30ish we ate the as well and then took a leisurely stroll back to our hotel with a stop for a coffee on the way (everywhere is open till 10pm).
    J&J
    Read more