Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    The hills are alive

    June 5, 2017 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Had a few hours in Salzburg, which claims Mozart and the von Trapp family amongst others. This is where the Sound of Music film was made. It seems Hollywood took a fair bit of poetic licence with the story - never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn eh?
    Again a bus tour of the sights and recommendations of where to go from our guide. We had to get our own lunch today, so we found a nice little cafe and ate.
    If you like churches, have I got the place for you! Salzburg has 22 catholic and 1 protestant church.
    The town is overlooked by a huge fortress. There is a funicular railway, to its lower level, up the very steep hill. Once there, there's quite a climb up lots of steps to the top part which could hold an army and looks impregnable.
    There is so much history - one street has a wrought iron sign outside each premises. In the days when most people couldn't read and write, these signs depicted what the business was without words. A carpenter might have crossed hammers, a wheelwright a couple of wheels. There are many lovely, narrow arcades and the old graveyard.
    Alongside all this is the new, blending in nicely. The city has many squares, used for market stalls, buskers and street artists.
    A nice way to see the city would be in one of the many pony driven carriages.
    Read more