Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Bratislava, Slovakia

    June 8, 2017 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Talk about spoilt for choice - today's options were, the Schonbrunn Palace, the Spanish Riding School or Bratislava. We're sure we chose the best.
    Our guide, George, a Bratislavan, was witty and knowledgeable.
    We were after all going into a country that was communist until fairly recently, so what an opportunity. Bratislava is a one hour drive from Vienna. We turned off the freeway ASAP and went through lovely countryside and villages.
    We also went through the biggest wind farm you might imagine, km after km of wind turbines - 1500 in all !!! A spectacular sight.
    First up we had a bus tour of the town - yet another beautiful old town. Would you believe there is a castle on the highest point above the town? We parked there and had a guided tour.
    Back on the bus and down into town for a walking tour. Then two hours to wander around on our own, have lunch and check out the markets and shops. Everywhere in these old towns are narrow, winding and cobbled laneways with little shops and little cafes with tables and chairs outside - Europe has such a great cafe culture.
    Tonight - cocktails with the captain then a 'celebration gala dinner'.
    Tomorrow Budapest.
    J&J
    Read more