Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Jemniste Chateau

    June 12, 2017 in Czech Republic ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Arrived at Jemniste Chateau about 10am. Our programme included, a falconry display, a tour of the chateau, lunch and time to explore the 13ha grounds with zoo (wallabies and cockatoos included). We were welcomed with a drink by the owner.
    Between the communists and the Russian 'liberators' most of these places were usurped. It's only fairly recently that many have gone back to their rightful owners. The present owner lives in one wing and we toured the rest. The gardens are spectacular. The main course at lunch was wild boar. We were assured that the owner or his son would have hunted and shot it.
    The highlight for me was the falconry display. The first birds were falcons. They soared and dived after lures - they are so fast!
    Next a Golden Eagle. The falconer rode his horse away from us, pulled on the rein and the horse lay down with the falconer getting clear at the last minute. Some meat was placed on the horse's flank and the eagle sent off. It landed on the horse which didn't budge. In fact, it seems the horse was quite comfortable and refused the falconer's urging to get up. It was suggested that our applause might get it up - it did.
    Next, an Eagle Owl but it didn't fly. The real bonus was that we were encouraged to go up and 'meet' the birds.

    J&J
    Read more