Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Arles

    May 24, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Visited the town of Salon and went to Marius Fabre, famous soap manufacturer still making soap the traditional way. They make 'pure' soap a la Sunlight and Velvet. They are famous for the purity of their soaps and also their green olive oil soap.
    Had a guided tour of Salon through its narrow winding streets and up to its castle. This is where Nostradamus lived so there is a statue, plaques and a re-creation of what they think his herb garden would have looked like. He was an apothecary so would have used many herbs.
    Had some free time to wander so Janette and I had our usual coffee. The lady was very patient with me while I ordered in French. When Janette went to pay the lady said “thank you very much”.
    Back to the ship by 1pm in nice time for lunch - a seafood buffet - see photo.
    3pm and a guided tour of Arles which just oozes history and Roman ruins. We entered through an old stone gate and wound our way through even more narrow winding streets. There is an amphitheatre, a theatre, baths and many, many beautiful homes which all retain their old character.
    Arles is where Vincent Van Gogh lived and worked for the last prolific year of his life. Many of his paintings depict houses in Arles.
    7pm - dinner - yet more food!
    9pm - up to the lounge to be entertained by the Gypsy Kings - amazing flamenco music.

    Tomorrow we se sail for Avignon at 4am.
    Read more