Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Now, that's a bridge!

    May 25, 2019 in France ⋅ ☁️ 24 °C

    Off again at 5pm for the Pont du Gard - a massive Roman aquaduct. This really needs to be 'googled' to get a good explanation of what the Romans achieved. From the right hand side of my photo, from a spring there, water was channelled 50kms using only gravity. The aquaduct, from end to end, has a fall of only 2.5 cm.
    This venue was opened after hours exclusively for us, so no crowds. This outing involved climbing 90 steps and rough tracks to access the very top so that we could go into the channel at the top.
    It was quite a climb as a lot of the steps are very irregular - but we made it up with a bit of puffing and panting. We were taken up in groups of 20/25 by guides who explained its construction etc.
    On returning to the ground, we had champagne and canapés. As the light faded the aquaduct was illuminated - WOW!
    Then it was back to the ship in our coaches. Our guide led the bus in a couple of verses of Sur la pont d'Avignon. Someone asked her to sing and suggested an Edith Piaf song - she obliged - absolutely spine tingling!
    Back on board about 10, and we set sail again. A few hundred metres upstream we went slowly past the four remaining arches of Pont d'Avignon.
    Read more