Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Winetasting in the Beaujolais region

    May 28, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Finally it's rained. It was pouring as we disembarked, boarded our coaches and all the way to our first stop, then all clear albeit a tad cooler.
    Today's choices for activities were - a visit to a snail farm and sampling snails and frogs legs or - a visit to a historic vineyard and sample the wines of the Beaujolais region.
    Much as I would have liked to try snails and frogs legs...... I can't help but have an image of millions of frogs in wheelchairs.
    On the way to the winery, we visited the little village of Oingt. I can't tell you how to pronounce that - even french people from other parts of France have difficulty. If we hadn't been told that this place is medieval and earlier, I would have said it had been recently built as a tourist attraction. It is so well maintained and clean - there's no litter or graffiti. I've said it before about the French - people have an obvious pride in where they live.
    Then on to the winery of Monsieur Paire sixth generation wine maker. He and his son went organic when his son came into the business. Wine in France is not named after the grape variety but by the region where it is grown. So M.Paire produces Beaujolais White, Beaujolais Rose and Beaujolais Red.
    M. Paire gave us a lesson in wine tasting and then poured a white which we had with a little cheese. This was followed with a young red and then an older red accompanied by petit sauci, a dry sausage (similar to salami).
    M. Paire presented in English. A few years ago he went to school and learnt English. This, it seems, is a very rare happening in older french men. He was charming and witty.
    Back on board at 1.15 for lunch and to sail to Collonges. There, tonight we have an APT Signature Experience - dinner at the Abbaye de Collonges. This is the restaurant of Paul Bocuse. More on that next time.
    Meanwhile we'll sit in the lounge and relax looking at the little towns and villages along the way. The other nice spectacle is the swans, sometimes in groups but mostly in pairs, sometimes with one on a nest or with cygnets in the water.
    Read more