Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Dinner at Paul Bocuse's ,The Abbaye'

    May 28, 2019 in France ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Dinner tonight was at The Abbaye. Whatever I write can't convey the experience to someone else. On arrival - champagne and nibbles in a hall with some old faiground pieces. In the photo of Janette, there is a red velvet curtain. Behind that is the dining area. We all gathered and as the curtains were opened, the massive organ started playing. You've never heard such a gasp from a group of people.
    The food and the service were top class, of course.
    One of our group had his birthday today. The waiters brought in a cake to the sounds of the organ playing happy birthday.
    Dessert was served by the waiters carrying several plates each and RUNNING down the stairs in the photo, running to the tables and then running back upstairs for more, accompanied all the time by very fast music on the organ. At the end one waiter staggered down the stairs with one plate - very funny!
    When the organ played Auld Lang Syne, we linked arms and sang, then went 'home'.
    Is there an expression that is better than wow?
    Again, I know I keep suggesting this, but google Abbaye restaurant Lyon or use this link and get the story of how this organ was walled up to save it during the war.
    https://www.bocuse.fr/en/abbaye.html
    The night finished with a short sail up to Lyon and a lovely light show on approach.
    Read more