Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    It just gets better..

    May 30, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Up at 5am to have our bags out for collection by the crew at 6am. Down to the dining room for breakfast and on a bus to the railway station at 7.30. Phew!
    The very fast train (the TGV) left at 8.51 and we were in Paris before 11.00am - 391kms at up to 300kph and smooth as. Onto a bus and a siteseeing drive around Paris. As with our visit two years ago, it's a public holiday so the roads are fairly quiet. We passed a square which until today was called Alma Square. It's above the tunnel where Princess Diana died and it's become a shrine. From today it will be known as Princess Diana Square.
    We travelled up the Champs Elysees and around the giant roundabout that surrounds the Arch de Triumph. The Arch contains the body of the unknown soldier. Every night at six a flame is lit. This has happened since 1919, even managing to continue through WWII.
    At the end of the tour we boarded a river cruiser for lunch and a cruise on the Seine (pronounced senn) up to Notre Dame and back. We were all expecting nibbles or a buffet but APT did it again - a full sit down, three course meal, with wine of course, served to the table.
    There were so many 'wows' and people rushing out to take pictures. Some of the bridges are works of art and you get a great view of Notre Dame Cathedral. The cathedral has a lot of scaffolding due to the recent fire. Also, they have already taken out all the windows as they did in WWII.
    On to our new home fo the next week, the AmaLyra (previously on the AmaCello). We sat in the lounge to await our turn to register at reception. I just had to take a picture of Janette with the Eiffel Tower in the background - we are within walking distance.
    The new ship is pretty well identical to the last one and we're in the same cabin, so very easy.
    The Captain will welcome us all aboard at 6.30 with a cocktail and a rose fo each lady, then dinner - more food.
    Read more