Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Ups and downs - highs and lows.

    12 juli 2020, Australien ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    G'day again.
    We're back 'on air' and we're back in isolation, although not as severely as before. We can't travel interstate or go to Melbourne. That also means that family and friends in Melbourne can't come up here either. The CoViD19 situation here in North East Vic is quite good. The local cases so far have been returned travelers.
    We've been enjoying catching up with friends and neighbours for tea, coffee, lunch while being very cautious re hygiene and distancing etc. From what I've seen locally, most people are being quite responsible.
    This morning we noticed a cow on her own on the hill behind the cottage up at the tree line. Although we're not due to start calving for three weeks, our first thought was that she'd calved. On the way to check on her, we passed the other cows. One had been very busy putting on her makeup. She obviously felt very pleased with herself. That gave us a good chuckle.
    Sadly the cow on the hill had calved but the little heifer was stillborn. The worst part of this situation is that the cow will keep calling the calf and obviously it doesn't respond.
    She's one of our four oldest cows - eleven. She's probably had eight calves to date. We'll never know what went wrong - the calf was perfectly formed, just very small. Just to be on the safe side, we've locked all the cows in the calving paddock so we can keep a close eye on them.
    Everyone's talking about the great season we're having. Autumn 2020 was the best we've had in our time here - our rainfall records go back to 1991. Already this year, we've had as much rain as 2018 and 2019 and the creek is flowing strongly. This means the waterfalls look really good - another reason for people to visit.
    Läs mer