Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Going Afghan for dinner.

    June 4, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Went for a drive around the City in the afternoon with a view to deciding where to dine tonight. We found Lonsdale St which looks to have wall to wall eateries. We drove up and back. Trish noticed an Afghan restaurant that she knew from Sydney - Bamiyan. She assured us it would be good. Up till then we were considering Greek.

    As we drove around it became more and more obvious that the biggest problem would be parking somewhere close to the restaurant. Even in the afternoon people were obviously cruising for that elusive parking spot.

    Trish made a booking for 6pm and we met in the hotel lobby at 5.30. The traffic seemed even heavier than earlier. It was Saturday night after all plus it was dark and wet. It was obvious that we weren't going to get a park on Lonsdale St so we headed for a car parking area we had seen earlier. We joined the queue to get in, took a ticket and joined the 'snake' of cars driving around hoping for a spot to open up.

    Janette must have phoned ahead.

    We were at a standstill in a line of cars. In the parked cars, immediately in front on our left was a dual cab ute. As we waited the 'ute people' arrived to drive out. We had a spot!!! We even got to the restaurant on time.

    Lonsdale St was humming with people, pubs and restaurants. It has certainly changed our view of a quiet, conservative Canberra that we probably had.

    Suffice to say, the food was amazing. We had banquet #1 and a bottle of wine.

    Back to the hotel to run through plans for the Tassie holiday in Oct/Nov.
    Read more