Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 8

    Colleen McCullough's house

    5 luglio 2022, Isola Norfolk ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    This morning: a tour of Colleen McCullough's house.
    Met our driver / guide, Brook, at reception and headed for Colleen's house. En route we were treated to a rundown of Col's life (Brook knew Colleen and is friendly with her husband, Rick, and calls her Col). Col had originally wanted to study medicine and started study. Unfortunately, she proved to be allergic to the antiseptic used for hand cleaning. It affected the skin on her hands. Instead she went into medical research.
    Half way to the house Brook waved to a driver going into town. It was Rick. Whenever there is a house tour, Rick goes into town to be out of the way.
    Brook then discussed all her books in quite some detail. As we arrived he pointed out that next to his seat was a full list of Col's work. None of us had realised how just many books she had written.
    Rules for the house visit:-
    * the tour will be of the ground floor only - Rick lives upstairs
    * no photos inside
    * no touching anything
    * leave shoulder bags / cameras with shoulder strap on the bus - a person with a shoulder bag knocked an irreplaceable object and broke it…
    * photos will be allowed in the book shop at the end of the tour.
    Col had earned rivers of money from the publishing of “The Thorn Birds” and this increased with her many books. Her home is a bit like a museum full of expensive antiques, artworks, marble and glass items. She didn’t seem to know about restraint and there were many items in triplicate or more. Her library was amazing with the reference books worth millions.
    Leggi altro