Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 9

    Government House visit.

    6 de julio de 2022, Isla Norfolk ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    On the first Wednesday of each month, Government House is open to the public from 1-3.30pm.
    Today is the first Wednesday this month.
    The visit is coordinated by volunteers. It costs $15 per person with the money going to a local good cause. This month it went to the girl guides.
    There were a lot of people wanting a sticky. We queued and were sent in, four at a time, well spaced. As we walked around, there was a volunteer stationed in each room to answer any questions.
    The house looks, and is still furnished, as it would have been long ago. It doesn't look opulent now but it probably was 'back in the day'.
    There isn't a governor these days. Instead there is an administrator who lives here. The only signs of dissent we saw on the island was with the 'fors' and the 'againsts' having an administrator rather than the Regional Council which used to run the island.
    Photography wasn't allowed inside.
    The flags were at half mast today, as they were everywhere on the island. This is done whenever anyone dies on the island, whether they are a local or a visitor, and whenever there is a funeral.
    Just up the road a bit is the scenic golf course. The club house was one of the original 'first class' houses.

    Back to digs to pack for heading home tomorrow - need to be at reception by 9.00am for shuttle to airport.
    Leer más