Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 2

    Million dollar cruise for $49.

    16. november 2023, New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    Had to be on the dock by 10.50 for departure at 11.00. Before we boarded, Peter, our captain, had a plate of goodies to feed to the trout in the lake. The are really big, probably because he feeds them three times a day before each cruise.

    Janette and I elected to sit in the open section at the stern. Turned out to be great views from there for the entire hour and a half cruise.

    The lake is huge - the third largest in NZ - with some prime real estate around its shores. It has several rivers feeding it but only one outlet, the Shotover River. This river is too shallow for all but the jet boats.

    We saw some Crested Grebe on the water. Crested Grebe are a rather rare and unusual species of water bird that is barely able to walk on land. They create floating nests made of weeds and sticks. Nests are attached to underwater debris, but when lake levels change, nests can be lost.

    Jetboats and speedboats have caused them to become endangered.

    Down near the outlet to the Shotover River, there are several 'bushy islands'. Many years ago, channels were marked with wooden posts - some of them took root and thrived.

    The weather this morning was ideal - sunny and mild. Peter commented, “this is the first calm day in weeks”.
    Les mer