Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Akaroa. - dolphin watching cruise.

    November 20, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We booked on the 1.30pm dolphin watch cruise. It is a two hour cruise and we hoped to see dolphins, fur seals, cormorants and penguins.

    The dolphins are called Hector's dolphins. They are the smallest of all dolphins and are unique to these waters.

    The fur seals are New Zealand fur seals. The penguins are the small and rare White-flippered penguins. They are the smallest penguin in the world.

    The cruise takes people out past the 'heads' into the Pacific Ocean. On the way we saw amazing volcanic rock formations and caves. We were warned several times that we are looking for wild animals and we may see none. Also, if we did see dolphins, they are usually in groups of only four or five.

    Apparently we did see a penguin - it was so small, with only its head showing, that it looked like a little duck.

    A solitary fur seal put on a bit of a performance for us - just lazing in the water and rolling over.

    It was over an hour before someone yelled “dolphin”.

    Sure enough we got tantalising glimpses of one, sometimes two, moving so quickly it was hard to know which way to point the camera, let alone get a picture. I resorted to leaving the camera switched to video in the hope I would catch something.

    These short sightings continued until, reluctantly, the captain said we must head back. At least we had seen some.

    Suddenly there was squealing, the boat slowed, and it was quite obvious that the captain himself was surprised by the number of dolphins we were seeing - possibly ten or twelve.

    Back to the dock in time for a coffee and catch the bus back to Chistchurch.

    The driver dropped us at an Indian restaurant that specialises in authentic Mumbai street food - only complaint - too much food.
    Read more