Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Chasing Waterfalls at Iguazú

    November 16, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    Our entry into Foz do Iguaçu airport was bumpy to say the least. As the plane landed, it felt as if the plane was going to nose-plant it into the runaway. Everyone on-board look at each other, sighed with relief, and then starting shrugging their shoulders. Where had this pilot gotten his licence from? We're pretty certain people walked off the plane with soiled undies.

    This was the first of many heart attacks for Jason. The second was when Jason was planning ahead for Buenos Aires and thought that we had booked flights to Buenos Aires in Costa Rica rather than Argentina. We confirmed, triple confirmed, that we hadn't booked the wrong flights. But the real culprit was the App that we have been using to store all of our travel information, TripIt. It was displaying incorrect information. Fancy IT systems getting it wrong.

    We only had a short time to see the Iguazu Falls from both sides. Early Friday morning, we got up and headed for the national park in Brazil to get a panoramic view of the waterfalls. After trekking along a 1.1km walking trail, we ended up at the Devil's Throat, a waterfall with a 82 metre drop. The border of Brazil and Argentina actually runs straight through the middle of the fall. Drenched with water, we headed back to our accommodation to make our way to Puerto Iguazú on the Argentinian side. The trip involved getting a bus to the border, exiting and going through Brazilian immigration and then getting another bus to go through Argentinian immigration. Fortunately this time, the bus waited for us and took us directly to the centre of the small town.

    Next stop: Puerto Iguazú
    Read more