Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 303

    Gringos in Guadalajara

    May 28, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    From Morelia, we travelled by bus for four-and-a-half hours to Guadalajara, the Pearl of the West. We checked into our hotel in the early afternoon and then quickly raced out to snap a few photos before sunset. We didn't realise that the sunset was so late in this part of the country. Before arriving in Guadalajara, we didn't know much about the city other than it is the second largest municipality in Mexico and is the location for one of our favourite Mexican telenovelas, Señora Acero. Almost all of the expletives/palabrotas in our vocabulary is as a result of watching this show – chingado pendejo, cabrón!

    Not only did the sun stay in the sky longer but it's rays also seemed much stronger. A short walk to the historical centre, where many of the city scenes from Señora Acero were filmed, required lathering ourselves in sunscreen and stocking up on water as if we were going to end-up in the desert, dying of thirst like Burke and Wills. It definitely beats the cold weather any day. But the mild case of food poisoning was unwelcomed by Ricky, who struggled to find an appetite while Jason gorged on all sorts of tacos and ahogadas (which is basically a bread roll filled with either fried pork, chicken and/or beans with chili sauce poured over the top). Maybe a Tequila tour might help Ricky get over his sickness.

    Next stop: Tequila.
    Read more