Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 306

    Putos en Puerto Vallarta

    May 31, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Puerto Vallarta was our next destination, well-known as the gay beach capital of Mexico, with LGBTIQ seaside resorts, bars and clubs. We arrived early at the Guadalajara bus terminal only to find out that the next bus to Puerto Vallarta was sold out and that the 8:20am bus was running at least an hour behind schedule. We checked the other companies and the earliest bus that we could find was leaving at 9am. In the meantime, the bus that was supposedly running late arrived and left before our 9am departure. We eventually exited Guadalajara and arrived in Puerto Vallarta around 2pm. For seven days la Playa del Muertos was our playground, as we soaked up the sunshine and slurped on our cold, alcoholic beverage on the beach.

    Our apartment was only a short distance from the beach but it seemed perched high in the hills. To get to the beach, we had to descend down a flight of stairs, then a short walk before tackling a set of stairs that were built into the side of a mountain cliff. The journey down wasn't the problem - it was getting back up that was the problem, particularly after a few drinks. The same pattern occurred each day: get up, eat, go to the beach, drink, return home, rinse and repeat the next day. To mix things up, we changed the order of these activities or added an excursion to the historical centre to stock up on supplies or a bite to eat.

    On our first day in Puerto Vallarta, we strolled along the beach, puzzled at the colour of the water. It was a colour that we had never seen before. We started to think that the name of the beach, Playa de los Muertos (Beach of the Dead) may have been named after the dark red oceans. Maybe it was just an isolated incident but the next day the colour had returned to a bluish, green colour. Beach life was relatively uneventful, except one day a shark was spotted. Ricky was the last to know about it. He tried as fast as he could to get out of the ocean, but it seemed like everything was in slow motion and the sand had turned to quicksand. All Ricky could hear in the background was the eerie music from the Jaws movies. That was the end of our day at beach and our time in Puerto Vallarta.

    Next stop: Mexico City.
    Read more