Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Shimizu Island & Twin lagoons - stop 3/4

    April 24 on the Philippines ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    We arrived at a small beach for lunch, only 1 other boat was here and that had 2 people on it. The spread they had prepared for us was huge, and sooo yum!

    While we were enjoying the serenity and the food, another tour boat, nay, a boat load of people arrived, easily 30 people piled off the boat and overtook our small space to set up their lunch. Within 15 minutes, there were another 3 or 4 boats in the same spot for lunch... we promptly finished our meal and headed back to the boat to be told we were walking 5 mins around the corner to see the twin lagoons - also because we were blocked in by the other boats.

    The Lagoons were beautiful, we entered through a small entrance that during high tide would require us to snorkel up and dive underwater to enter - however this was low tide so we squeezed through, the only obstacles being the sharp rocks and the occasional holes in the ground. We took some photos in this small area that had rocks sides towering above us. Our guide was getting really into filming videos of us on the DJI.

    Then we thought it would be a great idea to go out a different exit, another small opening that took us out of the lagoon and into open waters. Our guide seemed pretty happy with the little detour, and we all just assumed it would be a short trip around, given that the lagoon was so small.
    Well, it happened again! It was going fine for a couple of minutes; we were enjoying the reefs and fish below, and suddenly, there was just depth and nowhere to stand on. While it was mostly fine, it became difficult again when we got to the unprotected area and the water became more choppy. 4 of us made it around the bend and were standing when we noticed Esther was still missing, and we couldn't quite see her. She wasn't wearing a life jacket this time, and she came around the corner, and we could tell she was struggling.
    Jess leapt into life saver mode and swam back across the inlet to help her. Before long, we could see them holding on to the overhang of rocks. Our guide took Lillys vest and swam over to give it to her. A troubling ordeal, but she made it. We then discovered she had been biting down so hard on her snorkel that she had almost ripped part of it off.

    The other lagoon was meh, murkier water and not as nice. We then headed back to the boat 🚢.
    Read more