Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 7 Tomar to Aalvaiazere

    May 2, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    The guide book says that we would climb out of the flat plains into the central province and climb we did - up, up, and up some more. 20 miles with a high of 92°. (Okay we came down some, but every time we came down, we went up more!) We left at 6:00am to get as much of the trek in as we could before it got too hot. A lot of the hills were Pittsburgh type hills but some were straight up, seemingly never ending. We went through very nice forestry areas and some nice suburban areas, as well as little towns. There were many olive groves, aromatic wildflowers, and yards with planted flowers. A very pretty day but very hot. We were blessed with some shade and a little bit of cloud coverage. It could have been a lot worse. And there was only one cafe on the trail.

    We are spending the night at the Albergue Pinheiros run by Carlos. He greeted us with port wine and a very special stamp. Pilgrims carry a passport and get stamps from the places they stay and cafes. I am sure we will not get another stamp as special as Carlos's. He also recommended a place for dinner. Many of the pilgrims staying here went there so we had a great time socializing with our friends from Denmark, Maine, and a new friend from South Africa (Senid, a retired traveling nurse).

    I am thankful...
    ... That we only have one more 20 mile day scheduled.
    ... That there was a gas station/convenience store right when we needed it.
    ... For my husband, whom I love to travel with. We have experienced so much already and I know I wouldn't have done this without him!
    Read more