Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Day 21 Caminha to Viladesuso - Oia

    May 16, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Our first day in Spain! We took a water taxi across the river to reach the Spanish border where we hiked 13.5 miles. The boat driver hit a rock or something as we started our but no apparent damage. We hiked through some forests and roads but always within view of the ocean. The last couple of miles were through fields near the rocky coast. The weather was in the 70's and there was a slight breeze most of the day making for delightful hiking.

    Last night at dinner we met Brianna and Chris from Boston. It is Chris's first Camino but it is Brianna's 4th. She is 75 years old. She did her first Camino at the age of 65. She had a year where she battled and beat a type of cancer and then decided to walk some more, feeling blessed that she can. We spent several miles walking together today. She walks faster than we do (and Chris too, as she left him behind!).

    Our hotel is right near the water so we wandered down to the rocks and soaked our feet (and maybe a little more) in the ocean for a little therapy. Hearing the ocean all day and then again as we go to sleep is therapy too!
    Read more